So many changes are around the corner, I want to keep you updated on what's going on!

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Ice Cream Counts As A Protein, Right?

During all of my reading I have consistently found that diets high in protein are associated with lower rates of preeclampsia and full term delivers, while diets deficient in protein are associated with higher rates of preeclampsia and preterm deliveries.  So I'm thinking this is something I've got under control, especially since I feel like we get a healthy amount of protein in our diet anyway.  I start keeping track of my protein intake just to see where I am and find that I regularly consume around 20-25 grams of protein a day (I'm not counting the tiny amount in things like bread and fruit, this is just animal/dairy/nut/bean protein sources).  So I'm feeling really confident about my protein when I ask our childbirth class teacher about exactly how much you're supposed to eat.... and she pops my balloon with a whopping, midwife recommended 80 grams of protein a day!

Pass the deviled eggs, steak, ham, turkey, salmon, re-fried beans, peanut butter and almonds, please?

No comments:

Post a Comment