So many changes are around the corner, I want to keep you updated on what's going on!

Saturday, October 13, 2012

New found freedom

Ethel was dead to begin with.

Sorry, I felt like channeling a Christmas Carol - I know, silly, but it's cold outside! :)

We recently had to scrap our old car, Ethel, because she developed a larger problem than we could fix. Good news, we still have our lovely Kia for Chris to get to work. Bad news, now there wasn't any transportation for Eb and I while he was gone. This wasn't too much of a problem since I was mostly going to my parents which is literally a mile away (less if you cut through the pasture), but it has been frustrating for me to have to depend solely on others or loaned vehicles while we look for another car.

One of the perks of living so close to the family is getting to eat lunch with them on the days Chris is at work. This necessitates a lot of back and forth however. On several occasions I tried walking, partly for fun/exercise partly to save whoever was driving a trip. The first time with our "city stroller" we only made it a few feet down our gravel driveway - the bumping from the small wheels was wearing me out and I knew we wouldn't make it down our nearly quarter mile drive. The next time I tried the BeJorn. We made it to the mailbox but I realized going back home was the better move, Eb is such a big guy I just can't keep his weight on me long enough to make it all the way... So for a time I was stranded unless I had a loaner from Mom and Dad.

All that changed just a couple weeks ago when, after much shopping and research, our new jogging stroller arrived! Oh how I danced a jig when it got here! I don't really jog or run with it, but the large, bike style tires and suspension between three wheels would make jogging a breeze if I so chose. The swivel front wheel (which can lock straight if you want to run) makes maneuvering a cinch - and it rolls so smooth once we hit pavement it wants to take off! I can tackle our gravel driveway without completely wearing out or shaking Eb to pieces - I might be in live with this product!

Wanna see how fun it is? Here is Eb and I taking it out for our first ride all the way to Mom's. Eb lives being outside so he had a blast!

If you're curious, and for my own future reference, we ended up with a Baby Trend jogging stroller from Wal-Mart, Target also carries them. I live lots of things about this stroller but a few highlights include: a shade that can ratchet to ANY direction - including straight in front of his face - to block the sun, deep cup holders that my water bottle doesn't bounce out of even on gravel, covered compartment that holds phone and keys, swivel front tire and inflatable tires that absorb shock, and the price. Did i forget to mention the price? Jogging/running strollers are typically terribly high, I was hoping to find a good used one on Craigslist, but after shopping and comparing, I realized this cost less or similar to a good, used, fixed front tire stroller. So I took a chance and it totally paid off! Obviously I don't know how it will hold up long term, but for now Eb and I are totally tickled with our new form of transportation!


'This is so cool, Mom!'
The neighbor's barn through the mist.
Hanging on fences for photo ops...
"Our" farm from the road.
My beautiful surroundings...
Our destination!

No comments:

Post a Comment