So many changes are around the corner, I want to keep you updated on what's going on!

Friday, May 18, 2012

Breast feeding: The Good, The Bad and The Milky - Bonding

So as I discovered, breast feeding isn't the easiest job, and it doesn't come as naturally as I thought it would - but it has some hidden benefits I didn't know about before.

1.) It's a need only you can supply.
This sounds like a strange benefit, but if you are exclusively breast feeding YUO are the only person who can fill your baby's need to eat. It's pretty cool to be able to so directly meet a need like that. Since you are the only one feeding him, you also know exactly what he's been eating, how often, how much and what you've been eating too. This can be really helpful in diagnosing that cry, you know exactly when he ate last so you can have a pretty good guess as to whether he's hungry or there's a different problem. If your day has gotten more hectic than you planned, stopping to feed your baby gives you time to regroup and also focus on your little one who might have been overlooked in the flurry of activity. Finally, since you are the only one feeding him, you are guaranteed that quality time with him.

2.) Sweet snuggles.
I cannot describe how precious it is to have your baby reach up to hold your shirt, grab your finger or put his little hand on you chest just to be that much closer to you. It melts my heart every time! Several times Eb has had his hand on either side of his meal while he is eating almost as though to say 'Oh, Momma don't go anywhere!'. Talk about precious!

3.) First conversations.
Often when Eb is done eating, and not ready to sleep, he will sit and 'talk' with me! I love hearing his little voice and the new sounds he tries almost every day! I really feel strongly that if I want him to talk with us (and listen to us) about important things when he is older, I need to listen to the things HE finds important while he's small. Obviously he's not stringing understandable words together right now, but I consider these times good practice for both of us - plus his little grins and earnest faces while he coos are just too fun to miss!

4.) Lots of time for prayer.
Studying my little man while he eats is most often when I find myself overwhelmed with gratitude that I get to have such a wonderful little person in my life and in my care. It makes for a perfect time to pour my thankfulness out to the Lord, marvel at His creativity and handiwork, and pray, pray, pray for his future. I know the Lord has wonderful plans for my little son and I am do grateful I get to play a part in them!

No comments:

Post a Comment