So many changes are around the corner, I want to keep you updated on what's going on!

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Praise God for Tozer!

Obviously moving to Florida was not my first choice but Chris and I both felt like this was where God was leading us and He opened some amazing doors in the process... that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it does it?  Well, God has been teaching me through the humble wisdom of Tozer some of the reasons I am really unhappy, and that they aren't very good reasons.  The biggest reason is (surprise, surprise!) fear, granted they are all different kinds of fears but they all boil down to fear.  Fear of the unknown, fear of looking (or realizing I am) stupid, fear of not being accepted, fear of not doing everything perfectly, fear of not knowing when we get to have babies, or if we will get to have babies, fear, fear, fear.

A lot of these boil down to fear of the unknown, and consiquently not trust God for the things I don't know about, but instead thinking that if I plan and fret enough I can make it all turn out O.K.  How egotistic am I, right?  As Tozer says, "This is a tragic waste of truth and never gives rest to the heart."  Thankfully Tozer has the ability to put me in my place.  After reading the chapter on the Wisdom of God, in The Knowledge of the Holy, I was reminded of how little I know and how infinite God's knowledge is.  More importantly than that though, He desires our good and uses His knowledge to achieve our good.  He alone can make perfect plans and bring those plans to fruition.  And He doesn't have to let us in on how its all going to work ahead of time either.  "Our insistence on seeing ahead is natural enough, but it is a real hindrance to our spiritual progress.  God has charged Himself with full responsibility for our eternal happiness and stands ready to take over the management of our lives the moment we turn to Him in faith."  After all this is the same God who lights the way for our feet, not the God who shines a floodlight on our future.  He shows us all we need to know for today.  All I need to know for today is that God wants me in Florida, and to do my best where He has placed me so that I bring glory to His name.  I must trust His promise, "I will go before thee, and make crooked places straight: I will break in pieces gates of brass, and cut in sunder bars of iron: and I will give thee the treasures of darkness, and hidden riches of secret places, that thou mayest know that I, the Lord, which call the by name, am the God of Israel."

With a God like that going before me what do I have to fear?  He has brought me here for His glory, and His plans do not fail.  "With the goodness of God to desire our highest welfare, the wisdom of God to plan it, and the power of God to achieve it, what do we lack?  Surely we are the most favored of all creatures."

1 comment:

  1. i totally understand the fear and have been dealing with it so much over the past few months. i never thought i was a super fearful person--i was wrong! hugs and prayers to you my friend, and i'm glad that the Lord is speaking to you through Tozer!

    ReplyDelete