So many changes are around the corner, I want to keep you updated on what's going on!

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Blooming Florida!



A unique summer sight in Florida for me is lily pads blooming!  There is a little water hole near the street we drive to school every day, and it is full of aquatic plants, including lily pads.  We would see lily pads all the time when we would come to visit Granddaddy in the winter, but we seldom got to see them bloom, it is so exciting for me!

This is the water hole full of lily pads and other aquatic plants.

These are the seed pods they leave behind when they are done blooming, they are really fun to use in flower arrangements! (-> )

The way God created lily pads and other aquatic plants to survive with their roots completely submerged is amazing to me.  All plants need water and usually take it up through their roots, but most can't survive having their roots completely submerged for very long. (They use their roots to pull oxygen from the pores in the soil, if all those pores are filled with water they basically suffocate after a while.)  I find it so cool that God made these beautiful plants to survive in water logged soils that would otherwise be bare!



1 comment:

  1. Diana and Chris,

    I've been enjoying your blog. Congratulations on your baby due in January!Awesome! I've added your blog to my reader.

    God Bless,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete