So many changes are around the corner, I want to keep you updated on what's going on!

Friday, July 15, 2011

So, maybe Florida has seasons after all...

I hate to admit it, but as I get used to the sights, feel and flora of Florida I have to admit it might have seasons after all - Other than hot and hotter! 

For example - Late June through August is sort of Florida's 'Rainy Season'.  You can count on rain at least a few times a week if not every afternoon.  Personally this is a favorite of mine because this rain is usually in the form of a thunderstorm and I love watching thunderstorms and listening to the rain!
- While there is Hot and Hotter, there is also Humid and Really Humid as well!  We are currently in the Really Humid period, which seems to pass along about September or October.
- I am starting to recognize patterns in the flora around and anticipating certain seasons of flowers.  While nothing can replace the Northern flush of Spring Bulbs, I have really enjoyed watching the perennial peanut and lily pads bloom during this time of year.  It is also a pleasant surprise to see Amaryllis bloom outside in December!
Perennial Peanut makes a beautiful orange carpet this time of year.
- Seasons are also recognizable at the beach!  Growing up I only knew the beach in the winter time, and I didn't like it much either!  Now we get to visit during the Summer and I finally see the attraction.  The water is warm enough that you don't squeal and run for your life the minute your toes touch the water and the breeze off the ocean is refreshing instead of bitterly cold.  Apparently it wasn't the beach I disliked, just the beach in January!
- Down here summer isn't the busy garden season like it is at home, that is reserved for Spring and Fall.  I am slowly learning what fruits and vegetables should be in season by Florida's schedule instead of Kentucky's.  This means Tomatoes start coming on sometime in March (Crazy! there should still be snow outside right???) and then again in September, Sweet Corn is ready in early August (Not complaining about that!), and as you know Peaches are ready in May.  Like I said, an adjustment, but not all bad!

While I still miss brisk fall weather and the chance of snow in the winter, I am slowly beginning to recognize and appreciate the subtler changes in Florida!

No comments:

Post a Comment