So many changes are around the corner, I want to keep you updated on what's going on!

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Anniversary update

 This is terribly overdue but I wanted to post about our fun anniversary date! About a week after our anniversary Chris took me to paint pottery in Madison! This is something I've wanted to do for a long time but never had the chance and Chris was wonderful enough to treat me with it!

Our color inspiration.
Chris gave me a budget and then let me pick our piece - it took a little while... Okay a long time! My only defense is that there were so many fun pieces and ideas to choose from! We finally settled on a big salad bowl and wanted to use a kind of paint they called chunky with some drippy glaze overtop. I was so excited!

The paint had a base bluish color with little gravel like pieces, which they explained exploded in the firing process to reveal different colors. The glaze made the paint drippy wherever they touched. We used an iron looking color on the bottom for the blue to drip over. It sounds really complicated but the whole process was pretty straight forward and we were only working with three paints.
Don't mock my smock or I'll clean your clock!

Ebenezer did great! Chris and I took turns holding/playing with him and he talked almost the whole time. He loved the ceiling fans and squealed at them whenever he caught sight of them, he even nursed and napped a little while! While one of us had Eb the other worked on the bowl. It took longer than we expected because everything but the glaze needed three coats and you needed to blow dry between each coat. It was still fun though!
The first coat!

Once we finished it was so hard to leave our bowl there and wait for the week it would take to fire and transform into a beautiful, useable piece - but it was worth the wait!

I love that we now have a fun, tangible memory for this anniversary!
En Gaurde!
The Master at work!
Our colors.
Drying..
Before we left...
All that hard work deserved some dinner!
After a long week we brought home this...
The finished product!
A little more drippy than intended but still cool!
I love where the 'gravels' fell in the middle!

No comments:

Post a Comment