So many changes are around the corner, I want to keep you updated on what's going on!

Thursday, August 9, 2012

The C-Section: Six months later

While six months sounds like a long time, this particular event, however, is still fresh in my mind and something I am conscious of every day. Here is a quick run down on recovery from my C-Section with Eb six months after the fact.

Disclaimer!  As usual I am giving you the amount of detail I would desire when talking with someone about something I might experience.  If you are concerned about getting TMI (too much information) about me I will not be offended if you skip this post! :)

Physically:

I do not have any of the original pain I had in the beginning, but my scar area does give me sharp twinges on occasion as the nerves continue to heal and the scar tissue gets tugged around. I still have a pretty broad strip above the scar that is numb, although it is smaller than it was originally and some of it has that tingly "asleep" feeling as the nerves slowly heal. Oddly enough I have full feeling below the scar, I'm not sure if this has to do with the kind of cut or is related to my make-up and why I still had some sensation during the surgery.

I can get out of bed like a normal person again! For a long time instead of sitting up to get up in the mornings I would roll to the side. This kept me from straining the incision and initially avoided a lot of pain. Although I have been able to engage my abs without any painful reprisal for some time now, it took some mental preparation and retraining to change the rolling habit.

The doctors encouraged me to break up the scar tissue as much as possible to avoid complications in future pregnancies/deliveries.  Also, if there is scar tissue between muscle fibers they do not heal as strongly as they could.  This has involved massaging and rolling around the scar - not something to look forward to every night, but I can tell a difference.  At fist this was very scary and painful, I was worried I would open something.  Now there is much less resistance and scar tissue to work through.  It can still be uncomfortable, but not as bad as it was.

While I can use my abs again they still have a lot of recovery to go!  They still don't feel as strong as they were before I got pregnant.  Some of this is due to being so stretch during pregnancy, but some of it is due to the numbness and not feeling like I have total control over the muscles yet.  I have really just started felling confident about doing strength training and ab workouts the last month or so.  Before that I was concerned about incurring an injury even though the doctors assured me that the incision was as strong as it would ever be by about three months.

While I feel like my recovery has gone swimmingly (no complications or infections, praise the Lord!), I still don't feel all the way healed.  I am still protective of my stomach and, to a certain degree, I still feel fragile, like a bowl that was broken and glued back together - even if the bowled was repaired with super glue you still tend to handle it gingerly in the future.  I hope as I become more accustomed to this new "normal" and as I work on abdominal strength this feeling will continue to diminish.

Emotionally:

While I know its not logical I still have a lot of negative feelings about the C-section and the conditions which precipitated it.  This is an area that I have to continually return to the Lord with for repentance and trust that He has all of this in control!  In addition to concerns surrounding the actual C-section I find myself worrying about the consequences of this on future future child bearing.  Will my stomach be strong enough to carry anther baby?  How many C-sections can I safely have?  Will I be able to have a V-BAC?  All of these and many more swim through my head at random times.  When they threaten to overwhelm me I have to return to the promises we leaned on when deciding whether to get pregnant or not the first time - the Lord knows our needs, He wants and is fully capable to meet them, He knows the plan of our life better than we do and wants our good!  In spite of my disappointment I am finding more peace that this is the way Ebenezer needed to come into the world - and boy am I thankful he made it here safely!


3 comments:

  1. Why do you feel that you need repentance for the C-section? I am confused. There's no shame in having a C-section :)

    I'm sure you'll be strong enough to carry another child when the day comes. Just give yourself plenty of time to heal and keep an eye on the scar tissue. Tehya had both of hers via C-section fine; however, she recently had surgery to remove some of the scar tissue (12 years later).

    Hi-Fives and Hugs,
    -sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Sara! I don't feel like I need repentance for the C-section itself but my attitude about it. I am still really angry whenever I think about it and I honestly place a lot of blame at the feet of a few people at the hospital - in reality that is just the way Eb needed to be delivered and I should be (and am) thankful that we both made it through safely. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. I hope you don't mind me sharing a bit of my own experience with you, Diana. As you know, I too, had to have a c-section. While our reasons are different, the end result is the same.

    While I had no choice in the matter, the healing process, I think, is never ending. My scar is now 3 yrs old and I still get all the feelings you do. Especially the numbness. It's mostly on the right (my right) of the scar and although it doesn't hurt, per say, sometimes it still feels uncomfortable. And to make matters even more fun, I now have a hernia the size of a house! The Dr. won't do anything about it at the moment because I have a pending surgery coming up but please do be careful! Hernias are NOT fun to deal with!

    Personally, I still feel that having a c-section was the best option but I wish I had given myself more recovery time. (it just wasn't an option for me)

    As far as more children are concerned, please don't worry about that! My BFF had all 3 of her boys that way. She's 4'11'' and 95lbs. And who knows?! I am sure that a V-BAC will be a TOTAL option for you! I would say, with the next one, choose to be induced early since you can now say you have a history of bearing very large babies! Instead of carrying for 40-42 weeks, talk with your Dr. about carrying for 38 wks. Those 2-4 saved weeks could make a HUGE difference in the weight of the baby. Say, going from 7 or 8lbs to 10+lbs.

    My prayers and COMPLETE empathy are with you, Diana!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete