So many changes are around the corner, I want to keep you updated on what's going on!

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Eat your heart out Macaroni Grill!

The last time we went to Macaroni Grill I discovered to my dismay that they no longer served the highly delicious Chicken Tuscona Soup that I would combine with their Tomato Mozzarella Salad to make a wonderful meal!

Since I was carving it the other day I decided to see how hard it was to make and if there were any free recipes out there.  I found three!  This is my first attempt and I was pleasantly surprised!  I didn't know if my homemade version would be as good as the original but I got much closer than I hoped, a few more tweaks and it will be just right!
Just Like Romano's Macaroni Grill Chicken Toscana Soup Recipe
Makes 2 servings
Macaroni Grill Chicken Toscana Soup Recipe Clone Ingredients
  • olive oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup cooked chicken, preferably roasted
  • 1 ripe tomato, chopped
  • 4 ounces packaged gnocchi, cut in half
  • 1/2 cup cream or half-and-half (I used whole milk but I think the cream would give it a thicker consistency)
  • 3/4 cup fresh baby spinach leaves (I coarsely shredded spinach so it wouldn't be as big of chunks)
  • 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
  • Fresh basil
Cook the onions and garlic in olive oil for about 5 minutes, or until onion becomes soft and transparent and garlic becomes golden. Be careful not to burn the garlic or it will taste bitter.
Add chicken broth. Turn up heat and let it come to a boil. After the broth starts boiling, add the precooked chicken, gnocchi, and chopped tomato. Turn down to a simmer. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
Next, add the cream. Add spinach last. Stir spinach until it wilts. Remove from heat.
After putting the Chicken Toscana soup into individual bowls, sprinkle with generous amounts of Parmesan cheese and a little basil. 

Enjoy with some homemade bread and a yummy side salad, or some Tomato Mozzarella Salad!

1 comment: