So many changes are around the corner, I want to keep you updated on what's going on!

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Strawberry Series: Strawberry Pie

 This is the last strawberry post, I promise!  I can't finish without talking about my strawberry pie, however!

Strawberry pie is one of those things that I associate with my Granny.  It was a treat she made for us in the summer and it was always somewhat mysterious to me.  That may sound silly, but it just always amazed me that you could make a pie out of strawberries.  This is a desert that I associate with a nice, cool break during a hot summer day full of hard work with my family.  I never attempted this recipe until after she passed and I no longer had anyone to make it for me.  Mom and I made a pie while she was down and it made me want to try again with these berries. 


While I think Granny had her recipe memorized this is what Mom and I cobbled together from memory and other, similar recipes.

Granny's Strawberry Pie

One deep dish, baked pie shell
Fill shell with topped, halved berries

1 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons corn starch
1 cup water
1 3oz pkg strawberry jello


Mix cornstarch and sugar before adding water so cornstarch isn't lumpy.  Add water in a saucepan, bring to a boil, boil until mixture thickens. Add jello.  Pour over strawberry filled pie shells.  Refrigerate until set. Serve with Cool Whip on top. Enjoy!


This recipe makes enough jello mix to more than fill one deep dish pie or fill two shallow pie pans.  Its a cool, yummy summer treat.  It made a lot of happy memories for me and I hope it will continue to make good memories in the years to come!

1 comment: